Gloucestershire Probation manages some 2,000 offenders at any one time.
They generally fall into one of three categories:
- Offenders sentenced to carry out their punishments in the community by the courts
- Offenders serving prison sentences
- Offenders released into the community from custody.
Our job in managing offenders is to:
- Ensure they comply with the requirements of their Community Orders or with the conditions of their release from prison under parole or licence
- Assess and minimise the risks they pose to the public through their offending
- Prevent them from reoffending in future by changing their behaviour, thinking, attitudes and lifestyle
- Protect the public from the risks posed by sexual and violent offenders.